When moving to a new home, you want your prized possessions to arrive in the same condition they left in. By beginning the packing and planning process early on, you’ll make it easier for your movers NYC to transport your belongings without complications. Here are a few tips and tricks to ensure packing goes flawlessly.
Before You Begin Packing
Before you can begin packing, there are a few tasks you should complete back to back to ensure you are prepared for your move.
- Inventory Your Home: Don’t be tempted to just back all of your belongings without taking an inventory of your possessions first. Start by going into each room, one at a time and creating an inventory. This will give you an idea of just how much you actually own. As you are going along, you’ll also be able to take note of items that you might not need or want anymore.
- Reduce the Number of Items You’re Moving: Now that you have a better idea of everything in your home, eliminate items that you no longer use, no longer want, or are broken. You’ll want to get the number of possessions you have down to the absolute minimum so you aren’t paying to move items you don’t need or want.
- Purchase Proper Packing Materials: Before you can begin packing, you’re going to need packing materials. Ensuring that you have what you need before you begin packing means that you will be able to pack up your home or apartment with minimal interruptions. Start be making sure you have adequate boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper, and tape before you begin.
What Room to Pack First?
Once you have an idea of what you are going to be packing, how do you know where to start? Here are a few tips to get your started.
- Least Frequently Used Room: When you start packing the rooms and areas that you use the least, you’ll still feel like you are living as usual. This will also help to keep your sanity in check, as packing is stressful and time-consuming. The bedroom should be the last room you pack, unless you want to sleep with cardboard boxes stacked around you.
- Hardest Room to Pack: Many people think putting off packing the hardest room until last is a good idea. The reverse is actually true. When you start packing the hardest room first, you’ll still have the energy and motivation to continue packing the rest of your home. If you save the hardest room for last, you’re risking hitting the toughest job at burnout.
What Should You Pack First?
One of the best ways to determine what to pack first and what to pack last is to pre-pack. Pre-packing is when you pack from what you use the least to what you use the most. This allows you to keep using the things you use on a daily basis. Here’s a sample timeline for potential packing order:
- Collectible Items
- Books and Magazines
- Clothing and Shoes
While moving is considered one of the most stressful times in a person’s life, movers NYC such as American Movers can help reduce the stress. Whether you are moving across town, across the state, or across the country, American Movers can help you get there!